Columbus Day celebrates the arrival of Christopher Columbus to the Americas on October 12, 1492 and is observed
in the United States on the second Monday of October.
Columbus Day is a bank holiday and this year will be on Monday, October 9, 2023.
Columbus Day Weekend is a huge boating event in Miami. Originally, the center of the celebrations were the Columbus
Day Regatta races commemorating the voyages of discovery.
Through the years, the event has given way to a massive Mardi Grass-like boating party that has drifted towards the banks
of Elliot Key for a weekend jammed with boaters on (and in) the water, loud music, heavy drinking and clothing optional everything-goes crowd.
The Elliott Key
revelry is NOT part of the Regatta activities. So be sure you understand these are two separate events, even though they
are both taking place in the waters of Biscayne Bay.
The Columbus Day Regatta
This is the oldest event taking place in the waters of Biscayne Bay. There is even some colorful history behind it that
ties back to the 17th Duke of Veraguas, a direct descendant of Cristobal Colón, who attended the event in 1960 and granted permission for the use of the Columbus Coat of Arms for the Regatta's emblem.
Sailors from around the world are invited to join Miami's oldest Regatta!
In 2023, the regatta will be a one day event to take place on Saturday October 7, 2023. The Warning Signal for start of the regatta will be at 1000.
More info: www.columbusdayregatta.net
Columbus Day Weekend Events by Elliot Key
The heavy partying area (not part of the Regatta activities) is along Elliot Key. Elliot Key although part of Biscayne National Park, is
not associated with these activities. The park has dubbed this the "most dangerous weekend of the year" and needless to say, this is not a family event.
In fact, there are special regulations issued for the weekend. If you are heading out please act responsibly and comply with them as there will be zero tolerance for violations.
Sports, Concerts, Carnivals this Columbus Day Weekend 2023
What else is happening on Columbus Day Weekend? There is plenty to keep you entertained:
- Miami-Broward Carnival Parade - Sunday, October 8, 2023
- The Reunion Tour: Kirk Franklin, Tye Tribbett, The Clark Sisters, David and Tamela Mann & Israel Houghton - October 6, 2023 at Kaseya Center (formerly FTX Arena)
- Matt Rife - October 6, 2023 at Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Christian Nodal - October 7, 2023 at Kaseya Center (formerly FTX Arena)
- Ken Jeong - October 7, 2023 at Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Los Temerarios - October 8, 2023 at Kaseya Center (formerly FTX Arena)
- Morrissey - October 8, 2023 at Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Magical Candlelight Concerts in Miami featuring: Tribute to Queen, Ed Sheeran, From Bach to the Beatles, Classic Rock On Strings, Tchaikovsky and many more - Multiple dates
- Miami Hurricanes vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - Saturday, October 7, 2023 at Hard Rock Stadium
- NHL Preseason: Florida Panthers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning - Saturday, October 7, 2023 at Amerant Bank Arena (formerly BB&T Center), Sunrise
- Miami Dolphins vs. New York Giants - Sunday, October 8, 2023 at Hard Rock Stadium
- Miami Heat Red, White & Pink Game - Monday, October 9, 2023 at Kaseya Center (formerly FTX Arena)
Activities and Tours for this Columbus Day Weekend
It's time to get out! You can book with confidence as there is a free cancellation policy for most of the activities listed here, if your plans change and you cancel up to 24 hours in advance you will receive a full refund.
- Enjoy a Biscayne Bay Cruise:
- Beaches and Parks are open, time to go for a swim, kayaking, jetskiing, parasailing...:
- From Dinner Key Marina: 30- or 60-minute Jet Ski Rides on a brand new Sea Doo GTI 130, Parasailing, Flyboarding, Paddleboarding and Kayaking, Tubing.
- At Hobie Beach (Rickenbacker Causeway): Windsurfing rentals, individual and group lessons available, Hobie Cat Sailing, Paddleboarding and Kayaking.
- Crandon Park, Bill Sadowski Preserve, Matheson Hammock Park: Kayak Treks and Adventures.
- At Oleta River State Park: Paddleboard and Kayak Rental, Biking, Camping.
- Snorkeling Boats in the Florida Keys and at Biscayne National Park and John Pennekamp State Park
- The Everglades are open! The following outifts are conducting Airboat and Eco Tours:
- Segway Tours are a great way to discover the Art Deco District, Ocean Drive, Fisher Island... You see a lot more gliding around than on foot while enjoying the breathtaking views and some fresh air! These Segway Tours are running daily
- The Wynwood Arts District is open, come check out this fantastic open-air museum with its stunning street art. A fun way to see it is with the 1-Hour Street Art Tour by Golf Buggy.
Federal government offices are closed except for National parks.
You can expect the following to
be open and closed on Monday:
Shopping centers and malls
Federal, State, Regional Parks
Public Transportation (check for special holiday schedules)
Go Out of Town!
Take advantage of the long weekend and get out-of-town!
Popular Day Trips From Miami...
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
Miami Events By Month