Columbus Day celebrates the arrival of Christopher Columbus to the Americas on October 12, 1492 and is observed in the United States on the second Monday of October.
Columbus Day is a bank holiday and this year will be on Monday, October 10, 2022.
Columbus Day Weekend is a huge boating event in Miami. Originally, the center of the celebrations were the Columbus Day Regatta races commemorating the voyages of discovery.
Through the years, the event has given way to a massive Mardi Grass-like boating party that has drifted towards the banks of Elliot Key for a weekend jammed with boaters on (and in) the water, loud music, heavy drinking and clothing optional everything-goes crowd.
The Elliott Key revelry is NOT part of the Regatta activities. So be sure you understand these are two separate events, even though they are both taking place in the waters of Biscayne Bay.
The Columbus Day Regatta
This is the oldest event taking place in the waters of Biscayne Bay. There is even some colorful history behind it that ties back to the 17th Duke of Veraguas, a direct descendant of Cristobal Colon, who attended the event in 1960 and granted permission for the use of the Columbus Coat of Arms for the Regatta's emblem.
Sailors from around the world are invited to join Miami's oldest Regatta!
The Columbus Day Regatta events for 2022 are back with the 2-day event as in previous years prior to the pandemic. This year will be on Saturday and Sunday October 8 - 9, 2022.
The Warning Signal for start of the regatta on both days will be at 1000.
More info: www.columbusdayregatta.net
Columbus Day Weekend Events by Elliot Key
The heavy partying area (not part of the Regatta activities) is along Elliot Key. Elliot Key although part of Biscayne National Park, is not associated with these activities. The park has dubbed this the "most dangerous weekend of the year" and needless to say, this is not a family event.
In fact, there are special regulations issued for the weekend. If you are heading out please act responsibly and comply with them as there will be zero tolerance for violations.
Sports, Concerts, Carnivals this Columbus Day Weekend 2022
What else is happening on Columbus Day Weekend? There is plenty to keep you entertained:
- Miami-Broward Carnival Parade - Sunday, October 9, 2022
- Redland International Orchid Show - October 7 - 9, 2022
- Banda Melim - October 7, 2022 at the Amaturo Theater at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts
- Ben Platt - October 7, 2022 at Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Arielle - October 7, 2022 at the Abdo New River Room at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts
- Shawn Mendes & Tate McRae - October 8, 2022 at FTX Arena (formerly AmericanAirlines Arena)
- Benise - October 8, 2022 at the Miami Dade County Auditorium
- Smashing Pumpkins & Jane's Addiction - October 8, 2022 at Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Siudy Flamenco: A Dos - October 8 - 9, 2022 at the Aventura Arts & Cultural Center
- Fito Paez - October 8, 2022 at the James L. Knight Center Miami
- Miami Hurricanes vs. North Carolina Tar Heels - October 8, 2022 at Hard Rock Stadium
- Florida Chamber Orchestra: Marlene Urbay - Spanish Extravagance - October 9, 2022 at the Miami Dade County Auditorium
- Il Volo - October 9, 2022 at FLA Live Arena (formerly BB&T Arena) Sunrise
- NBA Preseason: Miami Heat vs. Houston Rockets - October 10, 2022 at FTX Arena (formerly AmericanAirlines Arena)
Activities and Tours That Are OPEN and Running this Columbus Day Weekend
It's time to get out! Make a reservation as many of the tours and activities are running on limited capacities. You can book with confidence as there is a free cancellation policy for most of the activities listed here, if your plans change and you cancel up to 24 hours in advance you will receive a full refund.
- Marinas are open and the following operators are taking reservations for Biscayne Bay Cruises now:
- Leaving from Sea Isle Marina: The Adrenaline Junkie Jet Boat Ride
- Leaving from South Beach: Splashdown: Duck Tour of Miami and South Beach
- Leaving from Bayside: Thriller: 45-Minute Sightseeing Speedboat Tour, and The Original Millionaire's Row Cruise
- Beaches and Parks are open, time to go for a swim, kayaking, jetskiing, parasailing...:
- From Dinner Key Marina: 30- or 60-minute Jet Ski Rides on a brand new Sea Doo GTI 130, Parasailing, Flyboarding, Paddleboarding and Kayaking, Tubing.
- At Hobie Beach (Rickenbacker Causeway): Windsurfing rentals, individual and group lessons available, Hobie Cat Sailing, Paddleboarding and Kayaking.
- Crandon Park, Bill Sadowski Preserve, Matheson Hammock Park: Kayak Treks and Adventures.
- At Oleta River State Park: Paddleboard and Kayak Rental, Biking, Camping.
- Snorkeling Boats have resumed operations in the Florida Keys and at Biscayne National Park and John Pennekamp State Park
- The Everglades are open! The following outifts are conducting Airboat and Eco Tours now:
- Gator Park: Everglades National Park Airboat Tour and Wildlife Show
- Everglades Safari Park: $31.00 Discount tickets at Klook.com, from Miami incl. transport: Half-Day Everglades Airboat Ride & Wildlife Show
- Sawgrass Recreation Park: Private Tour for your group only, Night Tour (Wednesdays and Saturdays only)
- Everglades Area Tours: Mangrove Tunnel Kayak Eco-Tour meet at Everglades Chamber of Commerce Welcome Center Hwy 41/Hwy 29 Everglades City
- Here's more on Everglades Airboat Tours
- Segway Tours have reopened and they are a great way to discover the Art Deco District, Ocean Drive, Fisher Island... You see a lot more gliding around than on foot while enjoying the breathtaking views and some fresh air! These Segway Tours are running right now
- The Wynwood Arts District is open, come check out this fantastic open-air museum with its stunning street art. A fun way to see it is with the 1-Hour Street Art Tour by Golf Buggy.
- Lion Country Safari is OPEN
- Zoo Miami is OPEN, tickets must be purchased online, members and Summer Pass holders must also make a reservation for the day of their visit.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens are OPEN
- The Deering Estate is OPEN and hikes, kayak rentals and Biscayne Bay Cruises have resumed.
- Tidal Cove Water Park at the JW Marriott Miami Turnberry Resort & Spa is OPEN
- The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens are OPEN
Federal government offices are closed except for National parks.
You can expect the following to be open and closed on Monday:
Shopping centers and malls
Federal, State, Regional Parks
Public Transportation (check for special holiday schedules)
Go Out of Town!
Take advantage of the long weekend and get out-of-town!
Popular Day Trips From Miami...
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
Send a Tip!Got something to share? Let us know!