Surfside is a small and charming beachfront community sandwiched in between trendy Miami Beach and posh Bal Harbour and extending from 87th Street to 96th Street.
With a mile-long pristine beach, a pedestrian-friendly "downtown" area with plenty of neighborhood shops and cafes, lovely community and family-friendly vibe, the town of Surfside makes for a very delightful stay for those seeking a quieter location while still within easy access to the hustle and bustle of South Beach.
Surfside which describes itself as "Miami's Uptown Beachtown" is continuously evolving. Construction is everywhere, although you won't see any high-rises, as there are height limitations in place. Many posh hotels have opened, just recently the Four Seasons at The Surf Club brought a revival of the iconic 1930s club, adding an air of sophistication and glamour to the area.
Surfside is a small town that manages to tick all the boxes for a fantastic relaxing beach vacation, (In our case, Surfside is one of our favorite places for a Staycation):
- For starters, the beautiful beach, a one-mile stretch along the Atlantic Ocean with dozens of access points just about every block or so if you are not staying directly on the beach.
- And along the waterfront and skirting the beachfront properties is the Miami Beach Walk, which stretches all the way to Bal Harbour to the north, and down Miami Beach to the south. Great for an early morning jog or bike ride...
- A pedestrian friendly downtown where you can walk along Harding Avenue, the town's shopping and dining district and at this three-block strip you find the local jeweler, baker, tailor, side by side are the Starbucks, McDonalds, Publix Supermarket, etc.
- Dining options in Surfside abound, from homemade ice cream, casual delis and cafes, steak houses, ethnic fare, kosher, to fine dining with killer views...
- If it is high-caliber shopping you want, The Shops at Bal Harbour are minutes away by foot, Gucci, Chanel, Dior, Prada, you name it.
- Art Deco Architecture? Yes! Walk along the tiny village and you will encounter many examples of the famous style for which South Beach is known as well as the MiMo (Miami Modern) style that blends so well with the airy tropical landscape. The pastels, eyebrows, textured stucco...
The sharp angles, cantilevers, round holes...
- There is also a Community Center that offers many ammenities and activities for the family throughout the month which you can take advantage as a guest of any of the Surfside hotels or properties. Yoga, picnics, beach barbeques, paddleboarding... check their calendar for any events (which are for the most part FREE) happening during your visit.
Getting Around Surfside
You can get around Surfside just about everywhere on foot. There are also plenty of CitiBike rental racks throughout the village if you want to venture further out.
Surfside is only 7 miles away from the Art Deco District and Ocean Drive and even if you don't have a car, convenient bus connections run frequently along Collins Avenue to bring you to the center of the action. With Bus Route 120 Beach Max it is a straight shot from Surfside to South Beach. Here's more on Bus Route 120 Beach Max, map, stops and schedules.
Where to stay in Surfside
Accomodations in Surfside offer a great range of options from luxury and posh waterfront resorts and spas to basic and convenient accomodations and apartments and vacation rentals. Here are some top choices.
Please be aware of the many extra fees you may encounter and be sure to check what is included in your quoted rate. Most hotels in the area charge a "Resort Fee" which can run from $20 - $40 per day extra for things like beach chairs and umbrellas, internet access, bicycles, water sports, etc. Parking and valet services can tack on an extra $25-$38 per day. Cleaning fees in the case of apartments and rentals are billed per stay, in the range of $100 - $150
All-Suite: Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
- A lovely two-story Italian-style villa offering 19 exclusive one or two-bedroom suites
- Each of the contemporary suites at Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel feature a full kitchen and views of the courtyard
- The beach is just accross the street, a 2-minute walk. Free beach chairs, umbrellas and towels provided by he hotel
- Steps from Bal Harbour Shops and plenty of restaurants, supermarket, pharmacy, Starbucks, etc.
- Heated outdoor pool, jaccuzzi, in beautiful center courtyard
- There is no elevator, request a ground floor suite if this is a problem
- Free Wi-Fi
- FREE onsite parking
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel:
9576 Collins Avenue, Surfside, FL 33154
Family-Friendly Beachfront: Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
- Beautiful beachfront location offers 218 spacious suites spread over 12 floors, all with full or partial ocean views and private balconies
- One or two-bedroom suites with fridge, sitting area, most with 2 full bathrooms, connecting rooms available. Two-bedroom suites accomodate up to 6
- Two oceanfront pools, one adults-only rooftop pool, two on-site bars, four hot tubs, fitness center
- French-inspired casual dining restaurant located only steps from the beach and overlooking the Atlantic Ocean
- Sky Bar on the 12th floor and poolside snack bar
- Wellness Center Spa (coming soon)
- Pets allowed upon request
- Free Wi-Fi
- Valet Parking is $44/day
- Ongoing work at the hotel through July 4, 2018, some areas might be closed as well as some private balconies, please inquire
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside:
9449 Collins Avenue, Surfside, FL 33154
Spacious Superb Value: Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West
- Across the street from the oceanfront Grand Beach Surfside Hotel, this smaller sister property is for those seeking a great location and exceptional value
- 73 one and two-bedroom spacious suites with balcony with a city view, fridge, most with 2 full bathrooms, connecting rooms available
- Great location, beach is a two-minute walk across the street, restaurants, shops, Publix supermarket, Starbucks within easy walk
- Outdoor rooftop pool and sun deck with two adjacent hot tubs
- There are NO other ammenities or facilities onsite but guests can use the restaurant, spa (coming soon) and beach services at the oceanfront sister property across the street
- Pets welcomed, please inquire
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite Parking is $44 per day
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West:
9418 Collins Avenue, Surfside, FL 33154
Best value Family-Friendly: Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside
- Although not a beachfront hotel, the location is convenient with plenty of restaurants within walking distance and beach access directly across the street
- Offers 175 great value well-appointed studios with fully equipped kitchenettes, many units with balconies
- Outdoor pool, fitness center, restaurant and pool bar
- Convenience store on-site
- Free breakfast
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite Parking is $42.80 per day, there is also an Electric Vehicle Charging Station
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside:
9200 Collins Avenue, Surfside, FL 33154
Beachfront Luxury: Four Seasons Hotel At The Surf Club
- Newly opened in 2017, this is a superb oceanfront luxury resort that captures the mood of the original Surf Club with a distinct modern and minimalist look, elevated with chic Italian dining and a world-class spa. The atmosphere is intimate and relaxed. Top-notch service from start to finish...
- 77 spacious guestrooms with breathtaking ocean and/or intracoastal views, many with balconies and five airy beachfront cabanas
- State of the art fitness center and an oceanfront holistic spa with 8 treatment rooms and outdoor treatment areas. Range of spa treatments including Ayurveda and traditional Hammam
- Two heated outdoor swimming pools, including a quiet adult-only pool
- Oceanfront dining at the Amalfi Coast-inspired Le Sirenuse Miami and Champagne Bar & Lounge, which is a sister restaurant to the Michelin-starred Le Sirenuse's La Sponda in Positano, Italy
- Family-friendly: Kids club, babysitting available
- Pet friendly: Pets stay free (dogs and cats only)
- Complimentary bicycle hire, complimentary house car
- Free Wi-Fi
- Private Onsite Parking is $40 per day
Four Seasons Hotel At The Surf Club:
9101 Collins Avenue, Surfside, FL 33154
Beachfront Apartment: Bluegreen Vacations Solara Surfside
- Direct beach access from this property which offers 58 one and two-bedroom apartments spread over 7 floors, all with dining areas and full kitchens with dishwashers, microwaves, refrigerators, and stoves, many with balconies with stunning ocean views
- Beautiful outdoor recreation area with bbq grills, a couple of hammocks, picnic tables, and even a giant chess set
- Year-round, heated, outdoor pool and hot tub, beach volleyball, fitness center
- No restaurant, you self-cater
- Free Wi-Fi in public areas only, paid wifi in rooms is $9.99 for 24 hours
- Weekly housekeeping
- Complimentary laundry facilities on the 3rd 5th and 7th floors
- Location is at the very south end of Surfside, not as convenient to the shops/restaurants, not much within walking distance but buses are plentiful if you don't have a car. About half a block south there's a stop for the free trolley that takes you to South Beach
- Onsite Parking is $14 per day
Bluegreen Vacations Solara Surfside:
8801 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33154
Miami Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions