Our Beaches Welcome You Back!
Parks, green spaces, beaches, beachwalks and baywalks have reopened in our city! Beaches are open from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Please adhere to the rules to prevent the spread of Covid-19:
- Facial coverings are now mandatory indoors and outdoors until further notice
- The countywide curfew has been modified to be from midnight to 6:00 am every day until further notice
- Social distancing of 6 feet must be kept (except from members of same household)
- All beachgoers must have facial covering available and ready to use at all times; beachgoers must be able to show their mask upon request by local authority
- Face covering not required for children under 2, persons that have difficulty breathing and persons involved in strenous physical activity or while in the ocean
- Public gatherings of 10 or more people are prohibited
- No floats or inflatables
- Allowed Activities: sunning, walking, jogging, swimming, surfing, paddle-boarding, kayaking. Be particularly cautious in swimming, surfing and other water-based activities associated with rescue and resuscitation
For more info check out the City of Miami Beach Coronavirus Reopening Guidelines.
Bill Baggs State Park boasts over a mile stretch of wide white sandy beach along the Atlantic coast.
Very low key without the glitziness of South Beach, this is
a great spot for a day of relaxing.
With the Cape Florida Lighthouse towering over it, this is a very enjoyable and shallow beach with a gentle surf due to the offshore reefs that protect it.
It slops very gradually and with almost no waves, it makes entry and exit very easy, nice for the
little ones as well as grandma and grandpa.
But one thing to point out about it
is that there are NO LIFEGUARDS on duty, it is swim at your own risk. You need
to be mindful of the Beach Warning Flags posted by the ranger station at the entrance for any possible alerts.
Concessions and Watercraft Rentals
There's lots to do at the beach and many sports and concessions available that make it easy to either spend a lazy and relaxing day at the sun as well as having an action-packed spell kayaking or pedaling away on a hydro-bike.
At the concession stands on the beach there are:
- Chairs and Umbrella Rentals
- Kayak Rentals either single or double kayaks.
- Hydro-Bike Rentals, single or double hydro-bikes
Prices start at $20 for a single kayak or hydro-bike for one hour.
You can also launch your own kayak or canoe from the designated spots on the beach.
Snorkeling at Bill Baggs
The beach at Bill Baggs, like the rest of the park is maintained in its natural state. As such, there is seagrass hugging the shoreline and
oftentimes it washes ashore. Some people are put off by this and think the beach is "dirty" but the seagrass which is part of the ecosystem
helps keep the ocean clean.
On the up side, there are all sorts of little critters that live in this habitat, so grab a snorkel and watch the seagrass carefully...
You can snorkel from the beach and look for interesting critters among the seagrass or head over around the rocky jetty where
little fish abound but be careful with the tides and the surf. You don't want to end up crashing against the rocks.
We often see sergeant majors, small grunts and other small colorful fish and occasionally a barracuda darting by.
The closest coral reefs are about six miles offshore
so not really an option to get there for snorkeling.
Getting to the Beach
The beaches at Bill Baggs are on the left side as you enter the park. There are two huge parking lot areas, but get there early on weekends as they fill up
quickly. See our Bill Baggs Map here.
From the parking lots you will first see the picnic areas where the pavillions, picnic tables and grills are, and the narrow paths spaced throughout that cut
through the dunes and provide access to the beach.
Beyond the Beach
If you've had enough sun for the day, why not take a look at the Lighthouse,
go for a walk or hire a bike and explore some of the nature trails,
go fishing, have a picnic or just cool off at one of the two restaurants that offer casual dining choices.
Bill Baggs State Park
A Day At The Beach... Top Picks For...
Most Popular Everglades Excursions
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Our State and National Parks
Miami Events By Month