Labor Day is a public holiday celebrated every year on the first Monday in September dedicated to all workers in the country and their contributions to society. This year it falls on September 7, 2020.
Labor Day is different from most public holidays in that it is not imbued with traditions and customs and is for most merely a wonderful extra day off offering a welcomed three-day weekend to sort of bid farewell to the scorching days of summer. In fact this holiday marks the "unofficial" end of the summer vacation season.
This year is of course a bit different due to the Covid-19 precautions and what will be open or closed for us to enjoy, but we can still take advantage of the long weekend doing as much or as little as we wish. Whether relaxing by the beach, exploring the city's outdoor spaces and parks, enjoying a cruise on the bay... there's always something for everyone. At this time, concerts and large scale sports events have been cancelled, we will keep you updated if anything changes.
For nature lovers, our turtles are just ending their nesting season so don't miss the last chances for the nesting, hatchling and release programs.
Here's what's happening this Labor Day in Miami as well as the attractions, tours and activities that have reopened so get outdoors and take advantage of the long weekend!
Labor Day Weekend Things To Do
Labor Day Weekend Miami Things To Do
Get Pampered! Catch the last of Miami Spa Month
Miami Spa Month runs thorugh August 31 so this is the last chance to take advantage and
indulge in some well-deserved TLC, from simple to the most cutting edge Spa treatments around,
all without breaking the bank.
So get ready to unwind...
Some unique and diverse treatments await.. mango body scrubs... organic fusion facials... the Miami Mojito Massagge... the Beach
Beautiful Package... this is your last chance to experience it all!
Whether a full Spa Day or simply a calming and relaxing massage, a mani-pedi, a revitalizing facial... here are some fantastic deals and spa packages, some over 50% off!
Treat yourself this Labor Day Weekend! It's restaurant month in Miami!
During August and September, the city's top eateries showcase
their signature dishes and award winning chefs with incredible 3-course set lunch or dinner packages that
make it easy and affordable for all to try the best of Miami's delectable cuisine.
Luxury Dining Set Prices: Lunch/Brunch $23, Dinner $39
More info: Check this year's participating restaurants at Miami Spice Monthly Deals.
Outdoor Attractions, Tours, Activities and Things to Do This Labor Day Weekend
Many attractions remain closed but several tours that can be conducted safely and within health department and CDC guidelines have reopened as have most outdoor activities.
It's time to get out! Here's a list of things to do while maintaining social distancing measures. They have reopened and can be booked now. Make a reservation as many of the tours and activities are running on limited capacities. You can book with confidence as there is a free cancellation policy for all the activities listed here, if your plans change and you cancel up to 24 hours in advance you will receive a full refund.
- Marinas are open and the following operators are taking reservations for Biscayne Bay Cruises now:
- Beaches and Parks are open, time to go for a swim, kayaking, jetskiing, parasailing...:
- From Dinner Key Marina: 30- or 60-minute Jet Ski Rides on a brand new Sea Doo GTI 130, Parasailing, Flyboarding, Paddleboarding and Kayaking, Tubing.
- At Hobie Beach (Rickenbacker Causeway): Windsurfing rentals, individual and group lessons available, Hobie Cat Sailing, Paddleboarding and Kayaking.
- Crandon Park, Bill Sadowski Preserve, Matheson Hammock Park: Kayak Treks and Adventures.
- At Oleta River State Park: Paddleboard and Kayak Rental, Standup Paddleboard Yoga Classes.
- With pick up from your hotel: 3-hour Jet Ski Tour covering downtown Miami, Key Biscayne, and Brickell Key, Fisher Island, Star Island with a stop in Monument Island
- Snorkeling Boats have resumed operations in the Florida Keys and at Biscayne National Park and John Pennekamp State Park
- The Everglades are open! Shark Valley's Tram Tours are running on a limited capacity and Bike rentals can be booked online.
- The following outifts are conducting Airboat and Eco Tours now:
- Segway Tours have reopened and they are a great way to discover the Art Deco District, Ocean Drive, Fisher Island... You see a lot more gliding around than on foot while enjoying the breathtaking views and some fresh air! These Segway Tours are running right now
- The Wynwood Arts District is open, come check out this fantastic open-air museum with its stunning street art. A fun way to see it is with the 1-Hour Street Art Tour by Golf Buggy.
- Lion Country Safari Drive-through Safari is OPEN
- The gardens at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens are OPEN
- The outdoor areas at the Deering Estate are OPEN and hikes and kayak rentals have resumed. Ghost Tours will restart this September.
- Tidal Cove Water Park at the JW Marriott Miami Turnberry Resort & Spa is OPEN
- The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens are OPEN
Most Popular Excursions
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Sea Turtle Nesting and Release Program - Cancelled
This is a fantastic program conducted by Miami Dade Parks which aims to educate the public about the plight of the sea turtles.
Our beaches are one of the largest nesting grounds for sea turtles every year. Nesting and hatching season is from May through October, when
the parks are actively engaged in protecting them.
Come and learn about their activities, the life of the turtles, the constant threats, and then come out to the beach and
watch the hatchlings as they are released and quickly dash across the sand and into the ocean.
Here's more on the Endangered Sea Turtle and the Turtle Awareness Program.
When? Due to Covid-19 all public hatching releases this 2020 season are officially cancelled.
Wednesdays (at Haulover Park) and Fridays (at Crandon Park) from mid-July to September - 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Hatchling release to begin in mid-July.
Where? Crandon Park Visitors and Nature Center and Haulover Park
How Much? $10 per participant
You MUST make reservations, which can be made starting July 1st. The sooner the better, they sell-out fast! Call 305-361-6767 ext. 121 or check their FB page for more info.
Get Out Of Town...
This IS a three-day weekend! Why not spend some time exploring our surroundings? The Florida Keys are at our doorstep and you can be there within an hour from Miami. Get out your snorkel or dive gear and head south! John Pennekamp Park in Key Largo is a fantastic destination for all sorts of water sports and outdoor activities, snorkeling, diving, kayaking... And of course, Key West, as far south as you can go, famous for wonderful sunsets, its street art scene, shops, outdoor cafes, restaurants and historic sites has also much to offer.
Heading north, you can stop at the Kennedy Space Center or spend a couple of days at the theme parks in Orlando.
And the Bahamas are equally accesible, there are regularly scheduled ferries to bring you to the Islands.
Don't have a car? Check out these hassle-free offers that take care of your transport and sightseeing:
Popular Day Trips From Miami...
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
Miami Events By Month